MENU
SECTIONS
OTHER
CLASSIFIEDS
CONTACT US / FAQ
Advertisement
Sandvick
2
MORE

Jimmy Jackson selected to redevelop steam plant

Jimmy Jackson selected to redevelop steam plant

NBA player and native Toledoan Jimmy Jackson has been selected to convert the Toledo Edison steam plant into upscale apartments and townhouses.

The announcement yesterday followed a couple days of mixed signals from Mayor Jack Ford that left the other potential developer "shocked" and questioning why government money is being used to cover some project costs.

To be known as Water Street Station, the $20 million to $25 million project is based on the city turning over the 1895 building to Mr. Jackson and his three partners as well as covering $300,000 in engineering and architectural costs.

Advertisement

Both measures will need council approval, something that could happen "fairly swiftly," said Councilman Wade Kapszukiewicz, chairman of council's economic development committee.

"Assuming that nothing else comes up, I can't see why that would be a problem. The monies had been appropriated some time ago," he said.

If all goes well, crews could break ground by early next year, said David Ball, a local developer and a partner on the project.

Also signing onto the plan are Rudolph-Libbe Cos., a local development firm, and Jonathan Sandvick, a Cleveland architect who specializes in historical redevelopment.

Advertisement

"It's tough to see how this team can go wrong," Mr. Jackson, a Houston Rockets guard, said.

Though Mr. Sandvick was part of a proposal turned down last year that called for a parking lot, Mr. Sandvick said he's not concerned about that or a string of other false starts the city has had to develop the building.

"In many ways you're re-pioneering the urban core," Mr. Sandvick said. "It takes a while to build it back up and to create that critical mass."

During a news conference yesterday, Mayor Ford noted the solid development history of the Water Street project's four partners.

Mr. Jackson turned the old Boardroom restaurant on Huron Street into Jackson's Lounge and Grill and has interests in several restaurants in Dallas and Denver.

Additionally, he's a partner in the recently opened Car Spa at Dorr Street and Upton Avenue.

Mr. Ball's resume includes renovating the Ohio, Woolworth, and Pilkington buildings in Toledo's downtown.

Mr. Sandvick has a long record of developing historic buildings in states stretching from Wisconsin to Pennsylvania to Connecticut.

Under their proposal, 77 mostly one-bedroom rental units will be carved out of the former electric generating plant with its distinctive smoke stacks, towering arched windows, and gabled roof.

Thirty-four townhouses will be in a new addition facing the river.

Separating the two will be a landscaped courtyard.

Parking will be provided underground. As the market demands, the Jackson team would add retail space.

On Wednesday, Mayor Ford told The Blade he was prepared to announce the proposal but wanted to give the developers the news first.

On Thursday, he backed off the announcement, saying he needed more time.

Rod Kagy, a Tiffin resident and owner of KG&R Development, which submitted the second proposal, said he continued to send more information about his proposal to the mayor as late as 5 p.m. Thursday.

Still, yesterday morning, the mayor called a news conference to announce his choice.

"They were the first to come forward with a plan for a project that has lacked a developer interest for some time," Mr. Ford said of Mr. Jackson and his partners.

Mr. Kagy's proposal, the mayor said, "came in pieces."

Contacted several hours later, Mr. Kagy said he hadn't been told a decision had been made and he accused the mayor of choosing Mr. Jackson's plan without seriously considering his.

He said he thought that his proposal to buy the plant from the city, rather than having it given to him, would give him an advantage in the bidding.

Mr. Kagy's plan also did not require the $300,000 subsidy for engineering costs as Mr. Jackson's proposal does.

"I'm in shock really," he said. "Usually, if it's public property, and it's a choice between having the property given away or purchased, you'd choose to make money on it.

"Don't misunderstand me: The other project is a good one, but it's obvious that they made a decision a long time ago," he said.

Councilman Rob Ludeman also questioned the choice yesterday, though he acknowledged that Mr. Ball has an established record as a solid developer.

"The only thing that bothers me is that the other developer thought the process was rushed," Mr. Ludeman said. "If the perception out there was that we weren't doing it right, that perception outside the community could spread."

Mr. Kapszukiewicz said the mayor most likely made the decision in the best interest of taxpayers.

"The real concern, regardless of who submitted their proposal when or who lives in town and who doesn't live in town, is what is the best proposal," Mr. Kapszukiewicz said.

Blade Staff Writer Christopher D. Kirkpatrick contributed to this report.

Contact Robin Erb at:

robinerb@theblade.com

or 419-724-6133.

First Published August 21, 2004, 1:17 p.m.

RELATED
SHOW COMMENTS  
Join the Conversation
We value your comments and civil discourse. Click here to review our Commenting Guidelines.
Must Read
Partners
Advertisement
Sandvick
Jackson
Advertisement
LATEST local
Advertisement
Pittsburgh skyline silhouette
TOP
Email a Story